Monday 4 June 2012

Jubilee Weekend!

I want to start by saying: Nice one Queeny! Giving us all a 4-day weekend for being on the throne for 60 years. Cheers!


Never in my life have I been up on all the information about the royal family but this Diamond Jubilee and the recent Royal Wedding have made me aware of a couple of facts about the Royals, such as:
  1. The Queen is 86 years old.
  2. The Duke of Edinburgh is not Prince Charles
  3. The line of succession of the crown.
  4. Names of members of the Royal family
  5. The Queen's second name is Windsor: Elizabeth Windsor, Charles Windsor and best of all Harry Windsor (Harry-Wins-Her) - made my day!
And other useless information like; the name of the Queen's Corgi dog, who was coronated in 973 and more.


You may be asking how I've managed to acquire all this random information and recall it all on here, well the answer is that I put together a quiz and was required to know all this, but more about that later.


Saturday 2nd
There's not much to say about Saturday other than I went to town with my friend, Chris to window shop for my upcoming holiday to Kos. When we returned back to mine, we were chilling with my mum and sister watching 16 & Pregnant when I chose to show him my pre-prepared quiz for the following day. Well he taught me some things: that Prague and Istanbul are now countries, London have never held the Olympics before and the Olympic flamed is kindled on that mountain in Greece called Mount Rushmore (minus the 'e').


Sunday 3rd
Rain. Rain. Rain. That's nearly all that can be said about Sunday but did do the well-known British thing, and have a BBQ. What better day to have it, than a day we are confiscated to inside the house, cooking in the oven and on the hob.
Regardless of the weather, we didn't let this ruin our family Jubilee celebrations. We had a few hiccups during the day, the first being at 5am when the gazebo collapsed from the weight of the rain water on top. My grandma had spent the previous day trimming up the garden and gazebo with bunting, flags and red, white & blue balloons (grandad had spent ages blowing up 15 balloons) which unfortunately burst on collapse, leaving 8 to be reused in the house. It's quite comical thinking about it now but grandma, being as patriotic as she is, was devastated that all that effort had gone to waste - so all the decorations were moved inside.
So, my auntie was in charge of entertainment and took the easy route by booking a bouncy castle for the day. But with the rain and cleaning products on the bouncy castle mixing together, we all know what happens, foamy bouncy castle! Other entertainment she provided was the creative crown making for all the children, which I was made part of as well, the reasoning being that I am soon-to-be a trainee teacher. We sat cutting out the crowns to then colour and decorate with feathers, foam stickers and unusually, googly eyes! (courtesy of my cousin, Dan). My auntie also delegated making a quiz (as mentioned earlier) to me, although I didn't mind as I was able to play around with Microsoft PowerPoint and take on the role of quiz master. I incorporated different rounds such as: Jubilee & Olympics which are very currents events as well as other like: Music, Flags and General Knowledge. The quiz went down well and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it as I made sure there was something for everyone, ranging from One Direction to Nursery Rhymes, Flags of the United Kingdom to Kazakhstan or Mongolia and identifying music by John Williams to Rossini.


<><> <><> <><>
Front cover of my home-made BBQ quiz


In the background all day we had on the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant, watching the Queen sail slowly past all the iconic London landmarks with millions of people worldwide watching. It was good seeing thousands of boats from all around the world sail down the Thames alongside Her Majesty, celebrating her 60 years on the throne. My favourite part of the Pageant really had to be the last boat to sail the Thames which held the London Philharmonic Orchestra, which played music I have played myself.


Monday 4th
Well, to put a downer on the whole Jubilee 4-day weekend scenario, I was forced to return to my revision after having 3 days off and have 4 exams next week. So I got stuck into it, varying myself between English Language and Biology. However, it was a very leisurely day for my mother and sister who spent the whole day in their pyjama's and my mother also remained on the sofa, wrapped in a fleecy blanket - what I would give for my exams to be over (only 17 days to go).
In contrast to my revision, we sat as a family to watch the Diamond Jubilee Concert in the evening. My favourite just had to be each of the comedians as they all made me laugh, notable performances from Alfie Boe & Renée Flemming and Kylie, gorgeous piano playing from Lang Lang and legends such as Tom Jones, Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney. I also found it amusing how the Queen never emerged out of the palace until 9pm (we all know she's spent the day in her slippers lazying around).


Plan for Tuesday 5th
More of the same really. More revision for English Language, Maths, Biology and Music exams that are all next week - my teenage life is sooo wild! And I will be catching up with the MTV Movie Awards which had to be recorded due to the Jubilee Concert. Oh, and you can't forget watching the carriage procession in London with the Queen with ceremony at St. Paul's Cathedral.




Lets add 3 more years Queeny and you'll be in line with Queen Victoria - and maybe even reign longer than her. 






Just one final thing to add to this Jubilee weekend. Well it wouldn't have all been possible without the Queen so she paid a short visit to our Jubilee BBQ on Sunday....


<><> <><> <><>
Family photo with the Queen


<><> <><> <><>
Sneaky peck there ay James?






J

No comments:

Post a Comment